Child Relocation

Our Portland, Oregon Child Relocation Attorneys Can Help

Call Now

How can we help? Getting you your best possible outcome is our top priority.

The emotional toll of stress related to any family law issue, , including an Oregon child relocation, can be exhausting without litigation. Let us take care of the law. You take care of you.
With Pacific Family Law Firm, you can expect a lot.

1. Talk to Attorneys

In most firms it is the staff that handles the bulk of your case. You end up dealing with paralegals, assistants, or clerks instead of the lawyer you signed up with. At Pacific Family Law Firm, assistants may handle paperwork and occasional informational calls, but most of the time you will be working with your actual trial attorney.

2. Streamlined Representation

Our office and divorce lawyers have built the firm from the ground up with efficiency in mind. Paperless, custom-built data centers for instant access to all file information, and flexible communication by phone, email, and even secure instant messaging. We want you to be able to participate as part of the team in your case.

3. Honest Assessment of Case

Far too many divorce and family law "mills" are simply out to settle your case as fast as possible so they can move on the next one. Pacific Family Law Firm was founded by lawyers who are used to the courtroom and don't run from it. If getting you the right result means taking the matter to a trial, we will do it. If you are ready for a trial, we won't back down either.

Child Relocation?

Our attorneys are ready to help with your child relocation case.

What is an Oregon Child Relocation or "Move Away" Case?

When parties have a child together, their lives understandably become more interconnected. Circumstances become more complicated when one parent wants to move to a distant part of the state, or even to another state or country. What happens to the child? Can they move with that parent? What does parenting time look like for the parent staying behind? Oregon child relocation cases are some of the most complicated and emotionally difficult in family law. Generally, two parents love their children, both who want to remain an active part of their children's lives, but two divergent lives in different locations. It then falls upon the court to apply the legal standard of determining what is in the "best interests of the children."

What are the issues do lawyers help with in an Oregon child relocation case?

Our relocation attorneys have substantial experience representing and working with parties on both sides of the "move away" issue. The state of Oregon's policy is to promote an ongoing, meaningful relationship for both parents of a child. As a result, the legal burden for the party attempting to move the child away tends to be much more complicated than keeping the child in place. This is because allowing the move almost always results in a reduction of parenting time for one parent, which is often considered not to be in the child's best interest. The success or failure of these cases depends significantly on individual facts and careful application of the law. These cases should not be handled alone and require the careful planning of an experienced Oregon child relocation lawyer.

Facts matter in a move-away case.

In any "move away" case, applying the law to the client's specific circumstances is paramount. Our lawyers will review your current parenting plan and expect that you have considered what a parenting plan will look like in the event of a move. We will also request the history of your relationship, want to know the pros and cons of the move's location, and the rationale for the child after any move. Whether you are striving to keep your child's parent from relocating the child out of their current region, or if you are the one endeavoring to move the child, we can help. Contact one of our relocation lawyers today to discuss your options.

A paper cutoout of a family walking into a sunset with a gavel in the background denoting Oregon family law services.

Child Relocation
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

What is the legal process for relocating with a child in Oregon?
In Oregon, the parent who has primary custody must provide written notice to the other parent at least 60 days before relocating. If the non-custodial parent objects, they must file a motion within 30 days of receiving the notice. The court will then consider factors like best interests of the child and both parents' reasons for moving or objecting before making a decision.
Can I move out of state with my child without permission from my ex-spouse?
If you have sole custody, you may be able to move without permission, but it's best to check your specific court order first. If you have joint custody or your order restricts relocation, you'll need either your ex-spouse's consent or approval from the court after following proper procedures.
How far away can I move with my child within Oregon?
There's no specific distance limit within Oregon, but any move that significantly impacts parenting time may require permission from the other parent or court approval. Consult your custody agreement or an attorney for guidance on what qualifies as significant in your situation.
What factors does a court consider when deciding on child relocation cases?
The court will prioritize the best interests of the child while considering factors such as: reasons for and against relocation; impact on emotional, educational and developmental needs; feasibility of maintaining relationships; past conduct and history of both parents; and any other relevant circumstances affecting welfare of the child.
Can my ex-spouse prevent me from moving with our children?
If your ex-spouse files an objection to your proposed relocation within 30 days after receiving notice, it's possible that they could convince a judge not to allow it based on various factors related to what is in best interest of children involved.
How does relocation affect parenting time and child support?
Relocation may result in changes to parenting time, transportation arrangements, and potentially child support if it significantly impacts one parent's ability to maintain their current level of involvement. The court may revisit these issues upon request from either party.
Can my ex-spouse move out of state with our child?
If your ex-spouse has custody rights and provides you with proper notice, they can request a move out of state. You have the right to object by filing a motion within 30 days after receiving notice, at which point the court will decide whether relocation is in the best interests of your child.
What if my ex-spouse moves without giving proper notice?
If your ex-spouse relocates without following proper procedure, you can seek legal remedies through the court system. This could include modifying or enforcing existing custody orders, holding them in contempt of court or even seeking criminal charges for custodial interference.

Call To Schedule A Consultation Today

Sometimes not knowing is the most stressful part of a divorce or family law case.
Let us remove the mystery.
Talk to an experienced Oregon family law lawyer today.

We help families in change

even when the destination is unknown.

Useful Oregon Statutes For
Child Relocation

Ex Parte Temporary Custody Or Parenting Time Orders

ORS 107.097(2)


(a) A party may apply to a court for a temporary protective order of restraint by filing with the court an affidavit or a declaration under penalty of perjury in the form required by ORCP 1 E, conforming to the requirements of ORS 109.767. (b) Upon receipt of an application under this subsection, the court may issue a temporary protective order of restraint restraining and enjoining each party from:

(A) Changing the child’s usual place of residence;

(B) Interfering with the present placement and daily schedule of the child;

(C) Hiding or secreting the child from the other party;

(D) Interfering with the other party’s usual contact and parenting time with the child;

(E) Leaving the state with the child without the written permission of the other party or the permission of the court; or

(F) In any manner disturbing the current schedule and daily routine of the child until custody or parenting time has been determined.

Read Full Text: ORS 107.097

Parenting Plan

(1) In any proceeding to establish or modify a judgment providing for parenting time with a child, except for matters filed under ORS 107.700 (Short title) to 107.735 (Duties of State Court Administrator), there shall be developed and filed with the court a parenting plan to be included in the judgment. A parenting plan may be either general or detailed.

(2) A general parenting plan may include a general outline of how parental responsibilities and parenting time will be shared and may allow the parents to develop a more detailed agreement on an informal basis. However, a general parenting plan must set forth the minimum amount of parenting time and access a noncustodial parent is entitled to have.

(3) A detailed parenting plan may include, but need not be limited to, provisions relating to:

(a) Residential schedule;

(b) Holiday, birthday and vacation planning;

(c) Weekends, including holidays, and school in-service days preceding or following weekends;

(d) Decision-making and responsibility;

(e) Information sharing and access;

(f) Relocation of parents;

(g) Telephone access;

(h) Transportation; and

(i) Methods for resolving disputes.

Read Full Text: ORS 107.102

Provisions Of Judgment

ORS 107.105 is a huge statute that provides detailed provisions governing not only the provisions of a divorce or separation judgment but also provisions regarding attorney fees. Rather than quote select parts, the statute may be reviewed in its entirety at the link below.

Read Full Text: ORS 107.105

Vacation Or Modification Of Judgment

(1) The court may at any time after a judgment of annulment or dissolution of marriage or of separation is granted, upon the motion of either party and after service of notice on the other party in the manner provided by ORCP 7, and after notice to the Division of Child Support when required under subsection (9) of this section:

(a) Set aside, alter or modify any portion of the judgment that provides for the appointment and duties of trustees, for the custody, parenting time, visitation, support and welfare of the minor children and the children attending school, as defined in ORS 107.108 (Support or maintenance for child attending school), including any health or life insurance provisions, for the support of a party or for life insurance under ORS 107.820 (Support order as insurable interest) or 107.830 (Physical examination may be ordered);

(b) Make an order, after service of notice to the other party, providing for the future custody, support and welfare of minor children residing in the state, who, at the time the judgment was given, were not residents of the state, or were unknown to the court or were erroneously omitted from the judgment;

(c) Terminate a duty of support toward any minor child who has become self-supporting, emancipated or married;

(d) After service of notice on the child in the manner provided by law for service of a summons, suspend future support for any child who has ceased to be a child attending school as defined in ORS 107.108 (Support or maintenance for child attending school); and

(e) Set aside, alter or modify any portion of the judgment that provides for a property award based on the enhanced earning capacity of a party that was awarded before October 23, 1999. A property award may be set aside, altered or modified under this paragraph.


Read Full Text: ORS 107.135

Factors Considered In Determining Custody Of Child

(1) Except as provided in subsection (6) of this section, in determining custody of a minor child under ORS 107.105 (Provisions of judgment) or 107.135 (Vacation or modification of judgment), the court shall give primary consideration to the best interests and welfare of the child. In determining the best interests and welfare of the child, the court shall consider the following relevant factors:

(a) The emotional ties between the child and other family members;

(b) The interest of the parties in and attitude toward the child;

(c) The desirability of continuing an existing relationship;

(d) The abuse of one parent by the other;

(e) The preference for the primary caregiver of the child, if the caregiver is deemed fit by the court; and

(f) The willingness and ability of each parent to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing relationship between the other parent and the child. However, the court may not consider such willingness and ability if one parent shows that the other parent has sexually assaulted or engaged in a pattern of behavior of abuse against the parent or a child and that a continuing relationship with the other parent will endanger the health or safety of either parent or the child.


Read Full Text: ORS 107.137

Proceeding To Determine Custody Or Support Of Child

(1) If a child is born to an unmarried person and parentage has been established under ORS 109.065 (Establishing parentage), or if a child is born to a married person by a person other than the birth mother’s spouse and parentage between the person and the child has been established under ORS 109.065 (Establishing parentage), either parent may initiate a civil proceeding to determine the custody or support of, or parenting time with, the child. The proceeding shall be brought in the circuit court of the county in which the child resides or is found or in the circuit court of the county in which either parent resides. The parents have the same rights and responsibilities regarding the custody and support of, and parenting time with, their child that married or divorced parents would have, and the provisions of ORS 107.094 (Forms for restraining order and request for hearing) to 107.449 (Transfer of proceeding under ORS 107.135 to auxiliary court) that relate to custody, support and parenting time, the provisions of ORS 107.755 (Court-ordered mediation) to 107.795 (Availability of other remedies) that relate to mediation procedures, and the provisions of ORS 107.810 (Policy), 107.820 (Support order as insurable interest) and 107.830 (Physical examination may be ordered) that relate to life insurance, apply to the proceeding.


Read Full Text: ORS 109.103


Pacific Family Law Firm is focused on one area of law: family law. From divorces to child support to spousal support to custody modifications, we're ready to help. Whether your your case has been open for years and is having a judgment modified, or if you have never had an attorney before and are just figuring out how to proceed with a divorce or other family change, we will take care of you.

Oregon Family Law & Divorce Blog

At Pacific Family Law Firm in Oregon, staying current on the latest developments in Oregon divorce and family law topics is a top priority. Our firm maintains a policy of "information first" for the client, so we make every effort to share information with the public and clients. Our blog covers topics from the frequently asked questions (FAQs) that Oregon family law Lawyers encounter to news headlines that impact Oregon families. If there is a topic you would like to see covered, let us know, and we'll add it to our list of subject matter!

Oregon Child Custody: Sole vs. Joint - What's the Difference? | Top-Rated Oregon Injury Attorneys

Oregon Child Custody: Sole vs. Joint - What's the Difference?

Child custody is one of the most contentiously and contested issues in Oregon family law cases. Misconceptions about what "custody" actually means tend to meld with advice from well-meaning friends and family and with conflicting information from web sources that might not even reflect Oregon law. What's the difference between "sole custody" and "joint custody" in Oregon?

Read More
What is Oregon Family Law? | Best-Rated Oregon Injury Attorneys

What is Oregon Family Law?

“Oregon Family law” is an umbrella term that refers to the practice of law that involves common domestic and family issues. While it is often associated with Oregon divorce, "family law" covers far more.

Read More
When Divorce and Personal Injury Settlements Collide: Navigating the Complexities | Best Oregon Injury Lawyers

When Divorce and Personal Injury Settlements Collide: Navigating the Complexities

Personal injury cases can be complicated, emotional, and time-consuming. When you add divorce into the mix, things can quickly become even more complicated. Divorce can have a significant impact on the outcome of a [personal injury settlement](#), so it's essential to understand the potential implications.

Read More

Schedule A Consultation

We are happy to meet with you for a flat-fee, discounted consultation. Call today.

Call Now to Schedule A Consultation
Schedule Online Now
Call the best-rated Oregon family law and divorce attorneys today.